Gardiner Expressway closed this weekend
Gardiner Expressway. (MICHAEL PEAKE/Toronto Sun files)
Sure signs of fall: A chill in the air, colour in the trees, and the inevitable Gardiner maintenance shutdown.
If you’re hitting the highways this weekend, plan your trip around the Gardiner Expressway — it’s going to be closed end-to-end in both directions starting 11 p.m. Friday.
The city says it’s a good weekend for a closure because no major events are scheduled downtown.
Here’s all you need to know about the closure:
WHEN: 11 p.m. Friday until 5 a.m. Monday.
WHERE: All lanes in both directions from Carlaw Ave. to Hwy. 427.
ALTERNATE ROUTES: Lake Shore Blvd., Evans Ave., King St., Bloor St., and the Queensway, though give yourself plenty of travel time — these routes all tend to deal with heavy volume delays during highway shutdowns.
Some details of what will be done:
- Part of the roadway — 1.4 “lane kilometres” — will be resurfaced.
- 15 bridges will be inspected.
- 900 metres of a permanent “tall wall” will be installed.
- 300 catch basins will be cleaned and repaired.
- Potholes and street lamps will be repaired.
- 37 signs will be installed at exit ramps.
- Signs and 21 CCTV cameras along the entire stretch will be repaired.